Page Level Ads

Calculating Beaufort Force If Wind Speed Is Given

What Beaufort Force in the Beaufort Scale indicates a mean wind speed of 41-47 knots?

Given:              Wind speed 41-47 knots
What is asked: Beaufort force

Solution:

Force = 1.5√41 = 9.6      

1.5 is constant. The speed we are going to use is of the lower range. The given wind speed range is 41-47 knots, so then we have square root 41 and then multiply it by 1.5. In our calculation we have 9.6. Just disregard the decimal point, so Force 9 is the answer.

See picture below:



Feel free to comment.  Thanks.


See Related Problem:

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do you mean how to get central pressure? Here's the link

      http://oic-nwreviewer.blogspot.com/#!/2013/12/how-to-determine-storm-central-pressure.html

      Delete
    2. no, this type of problem: If your mercurial barometer reads 1033 mb and the temp is 13 deg. C, what is the correct reading at 55 deg. North 150 deg. West.

      Delete
    3. I have not found from my review materials that kind of problem nor I encountered it during my college days. I'm not sure if there is such kind of question when taking a board exam for deck officers.

      Forgive my ignorance...

      Delete
    4. You don't need to be sorry, your blog helps me so much in my review. Forgive me if i'm being so annoying.

      Delete
    5. That's ok.
      I understand you're having your review.
      Good luck your incoming exam.

      Delete
  2. paano kunin ang geostrophic wind speed given the distance between two isobars and latitude?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wind problems from this blog is to solve wind speed by Panofsky and Brier formula.

      Delete